Of all the many species of rodents, mice prefer to breed and breed in “comfortable” conditions of existence: in the warm season in vegetable gardens and orchards, and for the winter they move to pantries and cellars where the crop is stored, and can also climb directly into a dwelling to a person.
- Signs of the presence of mice
- The following conditions are favorable for the growth of a mouse population:
- The complex of protective measures against mice will include:
- Preventive measures in pest control on the site
- Preventive measures in the fight against mice in the premises
- Measures to prevent the appearance of mice in the country, in the house, basements and storerooms consist in creating conditions that prevent their penetration into the room:
- Rodent chemicals
- Physical measures to deal with breeding mice
- Methods for scaring away small rodents
- Advantages of ultrasonic repellent devices:
- Folk tricks to deal with small rodents
Signs of the presence of mice
Usually, during the daytime, mice hide in crevices and holes because of their shyness, and begin their “fishing” at night. Uninvited guests living in the house give off an unpleasant smell, especially in those rooms that are rarely ventilated. When mouse excrement appears next to food, rodent teeth marks are noticed on fruits or vegetables – this is a clear sign that mice are actively breeding and their population is growing. Free-living mice, emboldened, can begin to mischief in the daytime in the presence of household members.
The following conditions are favorable for the growth of a mouse population:
- Free access to food;
- The presence of darkened secluded places with positive temperatures all year round;
- Dilapidated, non-residential premises or abandoned communications next to a person’s housing.
Mice are extremely prolific animals. One adult female is able to bring offspring from 5 to 10 times during the year, each of which has at least 3 mice. Moreover, depending on the favorable conditions, the number of cubs in one litter can reach 10-14 individuals. This seemingly harmless animal can cause serious damage: from spoiling food and things, to infecting people with formidable infectious diseases. Therefore, it is necessary to systematically carry out a set of measures to protect against pests in all areas: in vegetable gardens and orchards, basements and storerooms, as well as in cottages and houses.
The complex of protective measures against mice will include:
- Chemical protection;
- physical impact;
- Folk remedies.
Preventive measures in pest control on the site
Field and house mice living in their natural environment dig an extensive system of passages and holes in the ground to human garden plots, where there is something to feed on. In the garden and garden, an obstacle to the mouse invasion in spring and autumn will be the digging of the area along the perimeter and between the beds, as a result of which these mouse communications are disrupted. The mouse is afraid of such destruction. And the larger and more often such preventive diggings are carried out, they will help stop the onset of dangerous pests and protect the crop in the bud until harvesting.
You can try to scare away mice with a cat smell. For these purposes, it is necessary to dilute the contents of the cat litter in a bucket of water in any concentration. Water the beds with this solution. You can dig used toilet filler into the aisle. The method will work until the mice are no longer afraid of the cat’s smell.
Mice don’t respect the taste of ash. To preserve the harvest of root crops, you can sprinkle the tops of ripening carrots , beets , celery with ash. This will not affect the taste of vegetables, but it will scare away mice. Spilling potato tubers and root crops with ashes before storing them in the cellar also repels mice.
Preventive measures in the fight against mice in the premises
Mice are omnivorous, so rooms where there is plenty of food attract them. Having got through the cracks or small holes in the dwelling to the person, the animals find a cozy and warm place for arranging a nest, where they breed in a year-round cycle. To build a nest, small rodents use any material.
Measures to prevent the appearance of mice in the country, in the house, basements and storerooms consist in creating conditions that prevent their penetration into the room:
- It is recommended that during the construction of summer cottages and houses for inside wall insulation, use materials such as glass wool, basalt shavings and other materials unsuitable for mice for digging passages into the room;
- All ventilation openings of the room must be equipped with metal gratings to prevent the entry of unwanted guests;
- Noticed gaps and holes in the baseboards and walls should be eliminated with the help of sealing / putty materials that are not suitable for the teeth of the rodent;
- It is possible to scatter ash around the perimeter of the foundation of the house (layer width 10-15 cm). Ash in the stomach of mice causes irritation, and therefore will become an obstacle when trying to enter the house.
- All food supplies in the house must be stored in airtight closed containers;
- It is important to keep the utility rooms clean and periodically derattize them.
- Constantly monitor the sanitary condition of the courtyard, basements and storage areas, preventing the accumulation of debris.
Special chemicals that are produced in industrial production are called upon to help in the fight against mouse invasion. According to their effect on the rodent organism, drugs are divided into fast-acting and prolonged-acting chemicals. In the first case, the mouse, having eaten the bait with poison, dies within a few hours. Long-acting drugs are able to accumulate in the body of the pest, gradually poisoning, leading the animal to death.
Industrial pesticides are available in various form factors:
- Powder substances;
- Gels and pastes;
- adhesive substances;
- liquid solutions.
Poisons from rodents should be used with extreme caution, as they are unsafe for the health of households and pets. Before using baits with poisons, you should carefully read the manufacturer’s instructions and carefully follow them.
Sufficiently effective chemicals from mice for personal subsidiary plots are:
- Substances based on the active substance bromadiolone (rattidion, bromine paste, zernocin NEO and others;
- Substances based on the active ingredient brodifacoum (brodirat, kilmais, mortorat and others).
For use in non-residential premises, preparations such as rodefacoum, efa-shock, nutcracker are suitable.
For residential premises, a barrier preparation based on the active substance ethylifenacin can be used.
Physical measures to deal with breeding mice
Physical measures for the destruction of small rodents that have made their way into dwellings and bins include mousetraps of various designs of industrial or handicraft production and glue traps. The mouse is lured into the device by the smell of food bait, touching the trigger of the mousetrap, depending on the design features of the trap, it turns out to be killed, crippled, closed in a limited space, or glued to a cardboard box.
You can get a cat on the site that knows how to catch mice. Unfortunately, not all representatives of these domestic animals have retained the instinct of wild ancestors.
Physical methods for the destruction of mice are unpleasant and inhumane, because the animals are killed or maimed. Caught mice need to be pulled out of the trap and thrown away. In addition, if there are a lot of mice divorced, you need to catch several devices on one mousetrap – do not catch them. Yes, and the animals are not born with a bait, they are not led to any bait and quickly learn to avoid danger.
Methods for scaring away small rodents
- Plants are repellents. The smell of some plants, the so-called repellents, can scare away mice. Small rodents are repelled by the aromas of black, red and grassy elderberry. It is recommended to plant elderberry near compost pits and storages. Where this plant grows, mice do not settle. Also, elderberry branches can be spread out under covering material in beds with onion plantings in winter to protect them from damage by mice. Small rodents do not like the smell of chamomile.Bundles of branches of this plant can be decomposed in pantries where food is stored. Plants that repel mice with their smell include such plants as wild rosemary, black-root medicinal, popularly called mouse poison, tansy, mint, wormwood, as well as garden crops coriander, garlic, and tomatoes. Among the plants there are representatives – the so-called raticides, which emit substances that are poisonous to the murine genus. They can be used to make poison baits that can help get rid of annoying garden pests.
- Use of chemicals to repel mice. Mice can be repelled by the smell of certain chemicals. In non-residential premises where there are no products, all secluded places can be treated with formalin or kerosene. Naphthalene sawdust can be poured near buildings for poultry and livestock, vegetables and grain storages. They can also sprinkle mouse holes in vegetable gardens and orchards. Small rodents cannot stand the smell of gasoline and turpentine. You can slip rags moistened with these liquids into cracks and holes.
- Use of ultrasonic deterrent devices. Not so long ago, manufacturers began to supply the market with electromagnetic repellers of uninvited guests into the house. These devices act on the nervous system of animals, forcing them to retreat from the inhospitable walls of the room. The principle of operation of these devices is based on the generation of different frequency ultrasonic vibrations. The human ear does not perceive these vibrations, but mice feel them and feel discomfort. These devices work, depending on the design, from a household network or on batteries.
Advantages of ultrasonic repellent devices:
- Suitable for use not only in residential areas, but also in basements and pantries, as well as greenhouses;
- Ease of operation;
- Ergonomically thoughtful design;
- Possibility of operation of the device at temperature drops from -25 °C to +30 °C;
- There is no negative impact on people and pets.
The efficiency of the devices depends on the power and range. Well, judging by the reviews, such models as Tornado-300, Grad-A500, Pest Reject have proven themselves.
Folk tricks to deal with small rodents
When it is not safe to use pesticides in the fight against mice: the presence of small children, pets in the house, you can use proven folk methods:
- Gypsum treat. It is not difficult to prepare it, it is enough to thoroughly mix the gypsum powder with wheat or corn flour. This treat should be placed in an open container, a jar, for example. Put a saucer of water next to it. Omnivorous mice will treat themselves to mealy food and drink it down. The soaked gypsum mixture in the rodent’s esophagus will become cemented and will not budge, which will lead to the death of the animal from exhaustion and dehydration.
- Soda bait is prepared in the same way: equal parts of soda and any flour are mixed. Getting into the stomach of a mouse, soda, as a result of a chemical reaction with gastric juice, causes indigestion and internal bleeding, leading to death.
- Sweet treats. Mixed in equal proportions granulated sugar and lime or granulated sugar mixed with borax and rosin in equal proportions.
- In dry basements, cellars, attics of outbuildings, the alkaline spraying method can be used. Baking soda or ash is used. Spraying is carried out using a sieve in the direction from the wall to the exit.
The treats described above should be left overnight, while freeing the room from other available products.
You can fight mice on your own: there are enough methods given. You can seek help from a specialized company that provides the population with deratting services.